tirsdag den 6. oktober 2020

Replacing Network Time with BktTimeSync

I've used Network Time about 6 months. However, the PC clock deviation could be 500 ms or more during a day. This amount of drift is not acceptable - digital modes like JT65 and FT8 require less than 100 ms deviation in order to run smoothly.

blog post by N1RWY directed me to BktTimeSync by IZ2BKT Capelli Mauro.

Main page and software download: BktTimeSync 
Alternative page for download: https://bkttimesync.software.informer.com/


Fig. 1. BktTimeSync configuration. 

My configuration is shown in figure 1. Note that connecting to an NTP-server works only if the PC firewall allows traffic on port 123. "GPS Configuration" is not filled in as I don't use a GPS device as time source.

BktTimeSync should run automatically when the PC starts up. How to add an app to run automatically at startup in Windows 10 is described by Microsoft support

Fig. 2. Message from time.is: You have the exact time!

Checking your PC clock can be done by visiting time.is. You'll discover if your PC clock is off. Figure 2 shows, that my PC clock has the exact time, and the deviation is just 6 ms.

I hope BktTimeSync will continue its excellent timekeeping on my PC!

Note december 2020: BktTimeSync is still running on my Win 10 PC. System time is updated every 20 min via europe.pool.nt.org. I am satisfied with it's performance.

73 OZ1BXM Lars

Homepage: oz1bxm.dk

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar